Monday, March 23, 2009

Laments at Langkawi

Being a small part of the Health Ministry
As a part of cooperation, inter-agency
I had to represent the Division of Pharmacy
All the way to Langkawi
for a meeting with the Agriculture Ministry

The job description was not too bad actually
the advertising guidelines we had to amend accordingly
To upkeep with any current policy
and the neverending demands of the entire industry...
But being an invitee
with no colleagues to accompany
I was bored as I could be!

Took a flight alone so very early
found my way to the venue in Langkawi
Participated and contributed whenever possibly
But yikes, a meeting involving the Law
was far dry as one could imagine it to be!
Some leisure time we had fortunately
To scout for dinner individually

With no ideas on my lonesome itenerary
I had to find a cure
For my pent-up boredom and hyperactivity!
And so I remembered a quote from Parker, Dorothy
"The only cure for boredom is curiosity!"

In my small carry-on bag
A bath towel I packed
Along with a good book
Then I set out on foot
Giving the surroundings a quick look
And but what was ahead of me
but a small beach; the clear blue sky & sea!

I choose a winding rocky path
That headed out to sea
Couldnt help wondering...
trekker's addiction, maybe? :P
Appreciating the view around me
Enjoying the breeze from where I sat
Up above the sun shone brightly
I thus dug out my book and read and read
Dangerous as I realised my solo stint could be
What I did I had no regret
For I managed to catch a magnificent sunset!
The orange glow moved gradually
behind the clouds till only
Golden streaks illuminated the dark blue sea
before disappearing totally
A rare sight that surely captivated me

As darkness encroached
I realised how late it could be
so I headed back hastenly
grabbing a bun for my growling tummy
Hoping that the night meeting
would not start without me
Along the way I passed shops of duty-free
spotting chocolates I remembered
the 'list' that a niece and nephew gave to me
I guess tomorrow's entertainment shall be
fulfilling an aunt's responsibility :P

The first long day has passed finally
Slightly better than I anticipated it to be
To those who had entertained me
whether directly or through the PC
I thank thee dearly!
PS If you see a pesticide ad on TV
shieldtox, fumakilla or similarly
with a code begining with JIRP...
It is because of that
I am writing with such agony!

3 comments:

Edmund Yeo said...

sun:
scorched my skin
left me fried

black:
my new face colour
the void you left

(that's haiku)

HuonHengChai said...

Look at the bright side, you get to enjoy a beautiful sun set :)

AlyCullen said...

Woia... Audrey a... Update ur blog la... Haha. Link me. www.airy-loveisariddle.blogspot.com